Wednesday, November 12, 2008

french vanilla and magic

So today I had an interview for an office position.  This is only the second interview I've been on in over 10 years, and man have things changed!   The whole event started in a fairly standard way; I showed up a few minutes ahead of my scheduled time, filled out an application and sat down to wait.  That's when it got a bit odd.  

After waiting for about 10 minutes,  the secretary brought me another application.  This one was 3 pages long and included not just  the basic information questions (which I had already answered via my resume, and the first application), but also two pages of very unique questions.  Things like "out of these 36 options, which thing best represents how you see yourself?"  I got to choose among such interesting items as an electric generator, a trapped moth, a plunging waterfall and a bird in flight.  There were lots more.  And I had 90 seconds to make a choice.  They also wanted to know if I like myself, do I have self confidence, am I average (in my opinion) and do I believe in magic.   

Do I believe in magic????  So of course immediately the old '70s song by that name pops into my head and I've been humming it all day.  Thanks! Thanks alot!   How do you answer a question like that?  And what possible bearing could the answer have on my ability to answer a phone and file forms?  Do they want me to twitch my nose and tidy up the office a la Tabitha on Bewitched?   

But here is the really funny question....in the middle of asking me a bunch of relevant questions, the interviewer suddenly asks "What's your favorite ice cream flavor?"  What?????  So I immediately give my answer---French Vanilla.  Maybe it was a way to see how fast I can think and change direction.  

Maybe I just need to stop looking for a job and win the lottery.

No comments: